Thursday, March 3, 2011

Whoops!

Okay, so you know that little voice in the back of your head that says "NO!  You have enough animals, you can't take care of another one, not even for a little while.  You are maxed out.  *slaps hand* STOP IT."

Then you know how there's a little voice just in front of that one that waves its arms around and screams how for two or three weeks out of your life you could keep at least one dog from being put down?


You know that dog I posted this morning, the 7 month old female lab?



She's coming home with me Sunday, if all goes well.  No, not permanently, but just until we can find her a good home.  What can I say?  The adoption is free, and she was scheduled to be euthanized yesterday. She still needs a home if anyone is interested - I'll put up more pics when we have her home safely.

It's a really, really dumb idea.  The only reason it's even feasible is that we already have a baby gate up to keep our cat (who has rhino) breathing+ distance away from the quarantined fostered momma cat and her three kittens - one of whom had severe pneumonia for the first few weeks of his life.  (Yes, we have many more precautions in place - rhino can kill kittens!  But if you must know, the hoarding situation they came from was infested with it, so no high hopes on keeping them disease-free here)

The baby gate also serves to keep our pibble out of our bedroom, because she just had leg surgery to fix an old gunshot wound.  Very expensive surgery that we could only afford because our local shelter helped us out tremendously.  After months of saving.  She's crate confined for now anyways so she can heal up, so there won't be any surprise doggy interactions to worry about at least.  Seriously, though, our apartment is carefully segmented and we're pretty much maxed out.  To be fair, before the foster kitten got so sick, everything was organized beautifully and the critters really fit.  But the kitten DID get sick.  And now things don't fit just right, and we have our hands full.  I didn't expect to have to give the entire mouse room to the kitties.  It was a surprise.

But Lanie is 7 months old AND a popular breed, and there is no reason to put down puppies or young, healthy, adoptable dogs.  If technically we *can,* it's beyond my ability to step back and say "go ahead, kill her."  I'm a sucker like that.  Really, you can blame my fiance, who told me to first.  I just ran with it.  All I can say is, we'll be in trouble if we don't find her a home in the next few weeks.  I'm not exactly whatcha'd call "rich."  :)

Ah well, it may be the first time we've done this with a shelter, but it's certainly not the first time we've helped out a dog this way.  I'll keep ya updated!


-Mouse


Update:  Yeah...I'm glad I took her, honestly.  You know what the adoption form was?

Name:
Address:
Phone Number:
Driver's License #:
(photo of DL)

That was it.  Yipes!  They got no clue where these doggies are going.  At least we'll have her Sunday, and will be able to follow up with her rabies vaccination, HW test/meds, and a spay.  Then we get to pick the home she goes to, and you can bet we'll be asking for a little more info than what they asked for!  There will be no out-of-the-frying-pan-and-into-the-fire crap for Lanie, oh no.  We've had a tragedy like that before and I will never, ever, EVER do it again.  Story for another time.

Oh wow.  I just adopted another dog.  I need a beer.


...Time to dog-proof the master bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment